Synberc’s 2015 Fall Retreat will take place September 19-21, 2015 at MIT in Cambridge, MA. You must be registered to attend. This year's schedule will be packed with great science talks as usual. We will also feature short talks from industry and the broader community about relevant research and projects, and update the community on our plans for the future. And on Monday, we will have special guests from Washington to discuss with us relevant national biotechnology policy and legislation activities. View the important information below, then register here. And tweet the meeting at #synbercfall15!
Take a sneak peak into one of our retreats:
This Synberc retreat is open to members and invited guests only. Members include our principal investigators, their students and postdocs, member companies' employees, and Strategic Advisory Board members.
Information for companies
Employees of Synberc member companies are free to register but should coordinate with their company's primary Synberc contact. If you don't know who this is or your company would like to send more than three delegates, please contact Leonard Katz.
If your company isn’t a Synberc member yet and you would like to attend once as guest to evaluate Synberc membership, please register and return a signed guest confidentiality agreement as PDF to Peter Ackermann.
If your company has previously attended as guest, you would like to become a member, and/or present a scientific poster or talk, please register and return a signed membership agreement as PDF to Peter Ackermann.
Public engagement on synthetic biology
We are planning a public engagement activity on the evening of Friday September 18 (the day before the retreat) among public stakeholders and practitioners with the following goals:
- Acquaint stakeholders with the state of the art in engineering biology and emerging opportunities and concerns as we understand them
- Listen to stakeholders' perceptions and concerns (most important)
- Learn what kinds of engagement approaches are most effective (next most important)
- Initiate long-term relationships and conversations with these stakeholders
The public and practitioner participants will report about their experiences during the retreat. Click here for more details.
We secured a limited number of rooms and rate guarantees at the first three hotels. Check in: Friday, September 18. Check out: Monday, September 21. IMPORTANT: If you need extra nights outside of these dates, the hotel links below will not work. You have to call the hotel for availability and rates outside of the discounted package.
- Le Meridien, 20 Sidney Street, Cambridge, MA 02139. Book online by August 23 for guaranteed rate of $255/night plus taxes. By phone, call 617-577-0200 and mention Synberc Meeting.
- Marriott Cambridge-Boston, 50 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142. Book online by August 28 for guaranteed rate of $292/night plus taxes. By phone, call 617-494-6600 or 888-236-2427 and mention Synberc Fall Retreat.
- The Kendall, 350 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142. Book online by August 15 using corporate code “SYN15” for guaranteed rate of $279/night plus taxes. By phone, call 617-577-1300 or 866-566-1300.
- Hyatt Regency Cambridge, 575 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02139 Tel. 617-492-1234. NOTE: no Synberc room block/discounted rate.
- Residence Inn by Marriott, 6 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142 Tel. 617-349-0700. NOTE: no Synberc room block/discounted rate.
Now: Book flights to obtain low fares. August 18: submit travel request form if you want Synberc to book and prepay your flights and hotel. Last day to book hotel rooms at discounted rates: August 15 at Kendall, August 28 at Le Meridien and Aug 18 at Marriott-Cambridge. September 11: Registration ends, last day to submit poster abstracts for publication.
Travel expenses (PIs, SAB members, and students/postdocs)
Synberc will reimburse discounted hotel accommodations (room and tax only) at Le Meridien, Marriott-Cambridge and Kendall (check-in September 18, check-out September 21). Synberc will reimburse economy airfares booked by September 1 or earlier for PIs, SAB members, and students and postdocs who are presenting talks or posters. Students and postdocs are expected to share double-occupancy rooms. If you submit your travel request form to Synberc central by August 18, Synberc will book and directly pay flights and accommodation expenses for you. You will be asked to provide your personal credit card at hotel check-in to cover incidentals. You may also book your own travel and submit your receipts and domestic travel eimbursement form to Synberc central.
Information for students and postdocs
Please include your PI/lab affiliation and who you would like to share a room with along with your travel request form. If you are funded by Synberc and/or expect to be reimbursed, you are required to present a poster (roughly 36” x 48”). You may use this template and Synberc logo. Please mark your poster “CONFIDENTIAL” if you anticipate filing a patent or invention disclosure. Confidential work will be removed from public view. If you are not ready to submit your poster at registration, you may send them by email (as PDF) to Synberc central no later than September 11.