PLEASE NOTE: The Synberc project ended in June 2016, and the information below is provided for historical purposes. We are no longer providing Certificates to applicants. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Synberc offers a Synthetic Biology Certificate for qualified undergraduates. The Certificate aims to help create a cadre of students prepared for a successful career in synthetic biology. The Certificate is now available to all undergraduate students studying in the U.S., in addition to those working in Synberc labs or Synberc-affiliated labs.
What is the Certificate?
- The Synthetic Biology Certificate signifies that you have mastered a sequence of coursework and lab fundamentals that prepares an undergraduate to perform synthetic biology research.
- Certificate holders may attend the Synberc semi-annual retreats at UC Berkeley and MIT, bringing together the foremost practitioners and industry partners in the field of synthetic biology.
Who is it for?
- Undergraduate majors in biology, chemistry, and/or engineering studying in the U.S.
- Students who have an interest in synthetic biology and want to meet like-minded undergraduates and graduate students and learn from leading researchers in the field.
What is required?
- Students must complete all required courses on the Course Checklist with a grade of B- or above.
- Students have completed or will have completed synthetic biology research in a laboratory or on an iGEM team.
- Students have received a bachelor's degree within 24 months of applying for the Certificate.
- Students who do not meet these requirements may apply by petition.
How do I get started?
Please go to the Synthetic Biology Certificate Online Application. The application will guide you through the specific requirements.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year.
- Click here for the Synthetic Biology Certificate Course Checklist.
- Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.